|Joined: 12 Mar 2004|
|Location: Omaha, NE||
|Upgrading from version 29xx to 3.x.x is considered a Major upgrade since both the client and server versions of Surveyor/400 have been changed. If you upgrade the server version of Surveyor/400 to 3.x.x, then all users will have to upgrade their workstations to version 3.x.x.
*** Upgrading the Server to 3.x.x ***
After installing Surveyor/400 version 3.x.x on your workstation: The next time you connect to the iSeries with Surveyor/400, you will get a message indicating 'Client version 030 is higher than iSeries version 029'. If you are a Surveyor Administrator or QSECOFR, it will ask if you would like to upgrade the iSeries now.
To install the iSeries version (i.e.: the server), you must have authority to DLTLICPGM and RSTLICPGM. The FTP server must be started. No users can be using Surveyor at that time.
Tips for a smooth install:
- Make sure you have a compatible version of OS/400. Version 3.x.x is compatible with V4R5 and above.
- Consider backing up the data files in the SURVEYOR library as an additional precaution using the CRTDUPOBJ OBJ(VDP*) FROMLIB(SURVEYOR) OBJTYPE(*FILE) TOLIB(YOURLIB) DATA(*YES) command. During the installation process, the current data files will be saved temporarily to library SURVEYORSV and will be copied into the newly restored data files. Data in the SURVEYOR library includes user authorities, custom library lists, Layouts, and FTP logs.
- Check for object locks before installing. See below explanation.
SURVEYOR Library Locks
Before Surveyor/400 can replace the SURVEYOR library with the new version, the SURVEYOR library and its objects must not have any locks.
The most common locks will be on *MSGQ objects within the SURVEYOR library. Surveyor creates temporary *MSGQ objects and sometimes the iSeries does not release those locks.
Another common problem is that someone has a lock on the SURVEYOR library, either because they are using Surveyor/400 or they have placed the SURVEYOR library in their library list.
Here is how to check for locks before upgrading:
- WRKOBJLCK OBJ(SURVEYOR) OBJTYPE(*LIB). The most common job to have a lock is QZDASOINIT. To see who is actually using this job, use option '5=Work with job ' then menu item '1. Display job status attributes'. The attribute you are looking for is 'Current user profile '. This user may be using Surveyor/400.
- Delete all *MSGQ objects in the SURVEYOR library. Resolve any locks with the WRKOBJLCK command. By looking at the job log, try to determine if the job locking the *MSGQ object is a Surveyor/400 job and how recently the job was used. If the lock is caused by a Surveyor/400 job, it can be resolved by having the user exit Surveyor/400 or ending the job.
*** Upgrading Workstations to 3.x.x ***
Once the iSeries is updated to 3.x.x, all workstations will need to be upgraded. When a workstation with version 2909.09 connects to an iSeries with version 3.x.x, the user will have the opportunity to upgrade their workstation from the iSeries.
Note: You can download the new version from Linoma's web site for those users that cannot upgrade from the iSeries or cannot perform a 'Web Update'.
If a workstation has a version less than 2909.09, the user can use the Web Update or a downloaded version to upgrade.