Register FAQ Memberlist Search Linoma Software Forum Index

Linoma Software Forum Index -> Crypto Complete -> Handling key changes
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
Handling key changes
PostPosted: 01/02/08 03:34:51 PM Reply with quote
Support
Site Admin

I have programs working to encrypt/decrypt fields using calls to ENCAES1 and DECAES1. Is there a way to retrieve the previous value of a key when the key in a key store is changed?

I am attempting to handle a key change, after data has been encrypted. Surely we don't have to unencrypt all the encrypted data, change the key, and re-encrypt the data. What am I missing?

If you do not want to re-encrypt all of the existing data when changing a key, you will have to perform one of the following options:

Option 1>
Register the field in the Field Encryption Registry (WRKFLDENC) and indicate to store the encrypted values externally. Crypto Complete will create an external file to store the encrypted values. For each encrypted value in the external file, Crypto Complete will store the identifier of the key used to encrypt the value. Then use the APIs of INSENCFLD, UPDENCFLD, DLTENCFLD and GETENCFLD (not ENCAES1 and DECAES1) within your applications. Read the users guide and programmers guide for more information.

Option 2>
Devise your own mechansim to keep track of which keys were used to encrypt which data.
Handling key changes
  Linoma Software Forum Index -> Crypto Complete
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum